Nowadays, the market is oversaturated with stuff for kids from expensive toys that run on batteries (the noise they produce can drive every parent crazy!) to playgrounds and fashionable clothes. If you are going to be a parent, you probably read tonnes of information on a daily basis and there is always something new you learn. There are some must-do things to take care of before the baby arrives and one of them is choosing the perfect crib. It is more complicated than you even suppose. You have to take into account the specifications of your home as well as the safety it ensures. Of course, the price is not to be underestimated, so you have to find the best quality-price ratio and provide your little one with a comfortable and functional crib. Here are the main factors you should take into consideration before you make your final decision.
- Functionalities and durability are much more important than the brand. First of all, the most popular brands are usually expensive. Of course, it is understandable that you want your baby to have everything necessary regardless of the price you have to pay, but you will be using the crib for a long time, so choose one that is comfortable and safe.
- Make sure the crib is easy to clean and maintain. You are not advised to disinfect it with detergents you use for your regular house cleaning. They are too harsh and contain dangerous ingredients. If you are using the help of a professional housemaid she probably already knows that so she will clean the baby`s room with special care and attention.
- If you are low on space, you can opt for a mini or portable crib. Some cribs have wheels, so they can be easily carried from one room to another. Some cribs can fold or collapse, which is a great convenience when you live in a small apartment. It is important to note that most manufacturers have set limits for using the cribs and these limits are significantly lower for mini and portable ones. Carefully read the manufacturer’s manual and discontinue using the crib when your baby reaches a certain weight/ height.
- Safety is essential, so do your best to check the how safe the crib is well ahead of the baby arrival. If possible, give it a shake while you are at the store or immediately after you assemble it at home. If it is shaky or you have a few remaining parts left after you are done assembling, it means you have done something wrong. The crib is a focal point of your nursery and it has to be a 100% secure place for your baby.
- No matter if the crib you have settled for goes with a mattress or not, you have to check whether it is a good quality one. There are two main types of mattresses – innerspring and foam ones, respectively. If the mattress you have chosen is made of foam, you should beware of its weight. The heavier the mattress is, the denser the foam is and therefore the product is a high-quality one. Mattresses and carpets are often compared to sponges that attract dirt like magnets. In order to ensure a germ-free environment in the baby’s room, you are advised to book mattress cleaning and carpet cleaning to eliminate mites and improve the quality of the indoor air. If you want to do the other cleaning activities on your own, make sure the products you use do not contain toxic ingredients.
- Speaking of mattresses, you can search for one that has an adjustable height feature. When your kid begins sitting up, it is time to lower the mattress height otherwise, he/ she might fall out of the crib.
- Your baby will spend the first two years sleeping in the crib, but apart from the comfort, you should also pay attention to the versatility. Some cribs can transform into a kid’s bed. They are usually more expensive but at a later stage, you will save a lot from buying a bed.
- If you ask a friend of yours who already has experienced the joys of parenting, he/ she would tell you that those entertainment devices you can clip on the crib can do miracles when the baby is crying for no apparent reason. So check if the crib you have chosen allows you to hang stuffed toys or sound machines.
These were the most important things to consider when you are looking for the perfect baby crib. They are applicable when you buy a second-hand crib as well. However, this is a two-bladed knife unless you can make a foolproof evaluation of the condition of the crib and eventually make some alterations. Don’t make any compromises with crib’s stability and don’t buy it if you see any sharp and potentially dangerous parts. Last but not least, check out the safety standard your country has set for manufacturers to follow.